The “Lawn” is Renamed
The center of Lawn Avenue, originally referred to as the “Lawn”, was developed by Alexander Wadsworth in the 1850s as an ornamental area that featured showy horticultural displays and an impressive fountain. In the 1930s, the area was redesigned by landscape architect Laurence Caldwell to reflect the strong influence of estate gardens from the 1920s. In 1942, the “Lawn” was renamed in honor of noted botanist Asa Gray. Gray (1810-1888) is buried at Mount Auburn on Holly Path. Asa Gray Garden now contains interpretive panels that tell its history through text and historic images.