Open Position: Security Guard/Visitor Services Representative
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Security Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the position of Security Guard/Visitor Services Representative. Reporting to the Security Supervisor the Security Guard/Visitor Services Representative is responsible for patrolling the Cemetery grounds throughout the assigned shift and enforcement of Cemetery rules and regulations. The representative displays compassion, sensitivity, and good business ethics in all interactions with clients and visitors.
• Patrol the Cemetery grounds to provide a security presence and related duties throughout scheduled shift while operating any cemetery vehicle and/or security equipment following safety guidelines.
• Await incoming funerals and escort processions to the grave location in a controlled and orderly manner
• Explain and enforce the Cemetery’s rules, procedures and regulations to visitors and advise them of violations in a professional manner, remaining sensitive to the physical and emotional needs of visitors and lot owners.
• Assist with the control of traffic entering and leaving the cemetery, which includes interpretive programs and tours, funeral processions, memorial and chapel services, general visitors to the cemetery, and attendees of other cemetery functions.
• Serve as first contact for visitors to welcome them, answer questions and direct them to their desired destinations. Use computerized interment database to locate specific grave locations for visitors as requested.
• Responsible for the opening and or closing of the cemetery grounds and gates or buildings ensuring safe and secure access to visitors or employees
• Participate in responding to emergencies as needed. Maintain familiarity with all emergency procedures. Investigate complaints, accidents and disturbances on the grounds, and writes detailed incident reports and accident investigation reports. Call fire or police departments in cases of emergency if needed.
• May be required to perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Driver’s license.
• High School Diploma.
• Ability to communicate to staff, police and emergency responders with cemetery communication equipment.
• Basic computer skills and strong writing skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with all visitors and staff.
• Ability to deal with stressful situations, and to be flexible as work demands change.
• Currently certified in AED, CPR and First Aid or willing to obtain such certification.
• Ability to walk, bend, stand for long periods of time.
• Required to work outdoors during all seasons of the year and must be able to work in harsh weather.
• Ability to shovel snow and ice as needed.
• Ability to safely operate cemetery vehicles.
Variable between 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM from Sunday to Saturday and weekends are mandatory. The actual work schedule will be determined as part of the selection process.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Security Guard/Visitor Services Representative” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.