Open Position: Private Events Manager at Mount Auburn Cemetery
With oversight of Mount Auburn’s private events program, the Private Events Manager supports Mount Auburn’s vision as a place that celebrates all seasons of life. The Manager develops rental packages that accommodate a diverse range of needs and event types, including but not limited to funeral-related gatherings. The Manager is responsible for expanding an existing rental program to encourage greater use of its exceptional landscape and buildings while supporting the Cemetery’s revenue goals. The Manager ensures that all private events are seamless in execution and in alignment with Mount Auburn’s brand, mission, and reputation.
The Private Events Manager establishes strategic business partnerships with external vendors, including rental companies, caterers, florists, and A/V technicians and works collaboratively with all Cemetery department heads to facilitate the regular use of all Cemetery spaces. The Manager also collaborates with intra and interdepartmental teams to support the planning of other Cemetery-sponsored events that celebrate the Cemetery’s mission and vision while meeting its strategic goals to be more open and welcoming to all in the broader community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manages the Cemetery’s facilities calendars and coordinates the use of all indoor and outdoor spaces for private, public, and internal events.
• Develops rental packages and marketing strategies that facilitate the growth of Mount Auburn’s private events program.
• Develops annual budget for facility rentals and produces routine financial reports on rental activities for internal and external stakeholders.
• Creates the customer experience journey and documents the internal workflows that guide all states of the booking and rental process.
• Trains staff and external vendors on event rentals policies and procedures.
• Serves as the primary contact with clients for all non-funeral private event rentals and assists with all stages of the booking process. Responds to initial inquiries, provides location tours, and prepares individualized rental packages that meet event goals and ensure the best use of Mount Auburn’s buildings, landscape, and resources. Prepares rental quotes, rental agreements, and handles financial transactions to secure bookings.
• Assists Cemetery Services team through all stages of the booking process with funeral-related events. Prepares the rental packages, quotes, and agreements that Cemetery Services staff will present to clients.
• Serves as a point of contact for external event vendors including caterers, equipment rental companies, and other suppliers ensuring event contract specifications are carried out. Provides oversight and direction to all third-party vendors, ensuring that all provide the level of service that meets or exceeds Mount Auburn’s standards.
• Serves as point of contact with all internal staff, communicating clear and complete event details to all teams. Secures all event staffing support and ensures operational activities are coordinated around scheduled private events.
• Maintains accurate event timelines and supervises all set-up, day-of, and break-down activities including but not limited to deliveries, catering, A/V services, and parking.
• Staffs and/or secures event staffing to oversee all private events.
• Ensures that all events meet Mount Auburn’s standards for excellence. Reports safety concerns, incidents, maintenance needs, and event assessments to appropriate staff and departments.
• Provides positive and accurate information and customer service in response to inquiries and concerns. Actively resolves customer concerns in politely, friendly, and helpfully.
• Supports all teams and departments with coordination of other Cemetery-sponsored events including public events, fundraising events, and staff events.
• Cultivates strong relationships with external vendors to ensure an elevated level of service with all private events.
• Manages selection, ordering, and stock of supplies required for private and public events.
REQUIEMENTS and PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable education preferred
• 5 or more years of event management experience
• Strong customer service skills are required
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills
• Experience with management of teams is a plus
• Must be detail oriented
• Ability to maintain composure and professional outlook when under job-related pressure
• A desire to serve others at a time of emotional distress or need
• Must possess strong computer and typing skills. Specifically, Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and Outlook. Experience with relational databases preferred.
• Budget management experience is required.
• Collaborative working skills and ability to communicate successfully with employees at all levels
• Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently
• Must be a self-starter with strong initiative and the ability to work independently
• Must be patient, energetic, creative, and flexible as work demands change
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to operate standard office equipment such as computers and mouse, telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, scanners. Must be able to access file cabinets and interior vaults.
• Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery, including the Chapels, Greenhouse, Administration Building, and the cemetery grounds including traversing stairs, inclines, declines, and uneven terrain in all weather conditions
• Must be able to operate company vehicles (cars and/or vans).
• Position requires prolonged periods seated and/or standing at a desk.
• Ability to lift 20 lbs. and seat stand for extended periods.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
HOURS OF WORK:
Normally from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Tuesday to Saturday. Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends. There will be some remote days.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Private Events Manager” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.