Open Position: Preservation Seasonal Staff at Mount Auburn Cemetery
The Preservation Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the position of Preservation Seasonal Staff.
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
Reporting to the Preservation Manager, this person will be responsible for performing a variety of preservation-related tasks which include but are not limited to washing monuments, monument and masonry repair, resetting of monuments, and cast iron post and sign painting or repair.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• The washing of headstones, curbing, mausoleums, and other structures or features and the ability to distinguish proper washing methods e.g. pressure washer, steam cleaner, hand washing.
• Assist in the repair, repointing, and resetting of monuments. Includes digging and pouring foundations, mixing mortars, and setting heavy stones.
• Perform cleaning of mausoleum interiors including sweeping, dusting, and mopping.
• Maintenance of cast-iron fences, signs, and posts including painting and the removal or installation of cast iron elements.
• Oil or wax bronze doors, plaques, and statuary.
• Assist Facilities Maintenance Specialist in completing maintenance tasks. May include assisting with gutter cleaning, painting, or other maintenance tasks.
• Must adhere to all safety rules and procedures and utilize appropriate protective equipment and guards. Bring all workshop and job site safety concerns to the attention of direct supervisor or member of the safety committee.
• Work cooperatively with members of other departments and act as a “team player”, assisting other staff as necessary when short-handed or requiring additional help. Among other things, assist with snow removal, facilities maintenance, and/or the set-up or breakdown of chapels for memorial services, meetings, or events.
• May be required to perform other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• High school diploma preferred.
• Driver’s license required.
Experience using a pressure washer preferred.
• Ability to work alone or with other members of the Preservation & Facilities Department.
• Ability to communicate in English preferred.
Ability to read a map and to navigate Cemetery grounds required.
• Ability to access all areas of the Cemetery grounds and buildings including walking up and downstairs, entering confined spaces, and navigating varied terrain.
• Ability to climb and work from all manner of ladders, scaffolding, and aerial work platforms.
• Ability to move both within a workshop and normal office environment.
• Ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop, crouch, stand and reach overhead for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
• May be required to work outdoors in any season or weather condition.
Hours of Work:
7:30 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday to Friday.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Preservation Seasonal Staff” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.