Open Position: Preservation Craftsperson Intern
Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the position of Preservation Intern.
Founded in 1831, Mount Auburn Cemetery is a National Historic Landmark renowned for its layered landscape reflecting one hundred and eighty-six years of changing tastes in monument and sculpture, innovations in landscape design and evolving attitudes towards commemoration. Marble, granite and sandstone monuments by local stone-carvers as well as many of America’s leading sculptors populate the Cemetery’s 175 acres marking the lives of locally and nationally significant figures. Mount Auburn is also home to an internationally recognized horticultural collection and remains an active cemetery.
Role and Responsibilities:
As a Preservation Intern you will gain valuable hands-on experience working with Mount Auburns preservation staff repairing monuments and headstones using a combination of traditional and modern methods and materials. Projects include repointing of various buildings and structures, adhesive repairs of broken marble, slate, sandstone and granite monuments and the repair and resetting of loose or leaning headstones. Learn to properly mix, lay-up and cure a variety of mortar mixes formulated for use with different types of stone as well as the proper preparation and execution of high quality patches using a range of patching materials. Learn cleaning methods for a variety of stone types utilizing detergents, steam and chemicals. detergents, steam and chemicals.
The Preservation Craftsperson Intern is a paid position. It is full-time, Monday-Friday, June 2nd through August 31st (approximately).
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• A strong preservation ethic, patience, and the desire to perform careful, conscientious and lasting repairs to these invaluable historic resources.
• Prior hands-on preservation experience is preferred.
• Must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools safely and effectively including but not limited to various drills, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, and bench grinder
• Basic computer skills required and the ability to use a mouse and/or standard keyboard and computer equipment.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
• Ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop, crouch, stand and/or reach overhead for long periods of time.
• Employee must be able to perform physically strenuous work, including heavy lifting, outdoors throughout the summer in all weather conditions.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply:
Please inquire by sending resume and a brief cover letter to Preservation Manager Greg Ghazil: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.