Open Position: Preservation Craftsperson Intern
As a Preservation Craftsperson Intern, you will gain valuable hands-on experience working with Mount Auburn’s preservation staff repairing monuments and headstones using a combination of traditional and modern methods and materials. Projects include repointing of various buildings and structures, adhesive repairs of broken marble, slate, sandstone and granite monuments and the repair and resetting of loose or leaning headstones. Learn to properly mix, lay-up and cure a variety of mortar mixes formulated for use with different types of stone as well as the proper preparation and execution of high-quality patches using a range of patching materials. Learn cleaning methods for a variety of stone types utilizing detergents, steam and chemicals. Learn how to survey and prioritize preservation project utilizing mobile, cloud based software in real time.
• A strong preservation ethic, patience, and the desire to perform careful, conscientious and lasting repairs to these invaluable historic resources.
• Prior hands-on preservation experience is preferred.
• Must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools safely and effectively including but not limited to various drills, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, and bench grinder
• Basic computer skills required and the ability to use a mouse and/or standard keyboard and computer equipment.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 60 lbs.).
• Ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop, crouch, stand and/or reach overhead for long periods of time.
• Employee must be able to perform physically strenuous work, including heavy lifting, outdoors throughout the summer in all weather conditions.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
The Preservation Craftsperson is a paid internship. The internship traditionally runs from June through August (12 weeks). Some flexibility on start and end dates.
Please inquire by sending resume and a brief cover letter to: email@example.com
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.