Open Position: Horticulturist
Role and Responsibilities:
The Horticulture Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the position of Horticulturist. Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, the individual will oversees a horticultural zone of Mount Auburn and responsible for day-to-day, week-to-week and month-to-month landscape maintenance including weeding, mulching, watering, pruning, bed preparation, planting, edging, watering, fertilizing, picking up branches, record keeping, maintenance and removal of lot plantings, new sales areas and other corporation plantings all contained on Mount Auburn property and the surrounding perimeter area as appropriate. Coordinates and develops the use of volunteers for various gardening tasks in coordination with the Director of Horticulture and Volunteer Coordinator.
• Perform daily situational awareness within zone to manage litter or landscape issues that arise and impact the overall guest experience.
• Supervise and lead seasonal work force to achieve short- and long-term horticultural goals by prioritizing daily work assignments for all staff or volunteers in coordination with the Director of Horticulture.
• Responsible for complete maintenance of shrub and perennial beds
• Supervise and perform the planting and maintenance of lot plantings, which includes groundcovers, trees, shrubs and perennials, flowerbeds, and maintain associated records in accordance with the Cemetery Services team.
• Supervise and perform the planting and maintenance of corporation flowerbeds, urns/planters, and curb/fence lot conversions from turf to groundcover plantings.
• Supervise and perform training and coaching to seasonal support staff and volunteers as needed on best management practices
• Assist Arboriculture Team with all phases of tree work as requested. Performs ornamental tree pruning during the winter months.
• Responsible for diagnosing plant pest problems, recommending treatments and plant health care improvements, keeping all appropriate records, and performing pesticide spraying and treatments for the outdoor plant collection of the Cemetery
• In coordination with the horticultural curator research, plan and implement regular horticultural enhancements.
• May be required to perform other duties as requested by the Director of Horticulture to assist other Sections or Departments or improve Mount Auburn including helping with interment crew set up graves, green up graves, carry interment devices and caskets, clean-up graves and jackhammer graves when other labor is not available
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Degree in Ornamental Horticulture or related field or equivalent training
• Five years of horticulture work experience with increasing supervisory experience running landscaping crews
• Proven ability to direct staff and run work crews. Must be able to make sound decisions efficiently and confidently often under pressure and in stressful situations
• Organized and independent worker able to self-start and prioritize workloads
• Experience working in private estate and high-end residential landscaping is desired
• Ability to obtain a Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License in “Shade Trees and Ornamentals” (Category 36) within one year of hire
• Ability to obtain a Massachusetts Hoisting License 2A within one year of hire
• MCA, MCH or ISA designation is highly desirable
• Ability to communicate successfully and tactfully with staff, outside vendors and contractors, lot owners, customers and visitors
• Experience working in a greenhouse setting or the willingness to learn this function is desirable
• Proficiency in basic computer skills and programs such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint or willingness and ability to learn
• Bilingual communicator in Spanish a plus (not required)
• A valid driver’s license required
• Ability to shovel soil, snow, and mulch and to lift fertilizer, lime, soil mixes, peatmoss, trees, shrubs and logs up to 80 pounds
• Ability to use and operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment such as pole pruners, leafblower, snowblower, backhoe, bucket truck, chipper, chain saws, and all other arboricultural equipment
• Ability to jackhammer and to lift caskets for interments up to 100 pounds
• Ability to bend, walk, and/or stand for long periods of time
• Work outdoors in all seasons, including harsh weather conditions
Hours of Work:
7:30 AM to 3:30 PM on Monday to Friday. May occasionally work other hours or days.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.