Open Position: Family Services Event Coordinator at Mount Auburn Cemetery
Role and Responsibilities:
The Family Services Event Coordinator assists families with the planning and coordination of private memorial services, cremation events, and graveside burial services. The coordinator serves as the primary point of contact with all families scheduling funeral-related events on the Cemetery’s campus, guiding each through all stages of the event planning and coordination process. The coordinator completes all administrative tasks, including invoicing and receipt of all requirement paperwork, and provides staffing at burials, memorial services, and other funerary-related private events. The coordinator works collaboratively with the Cemetery Operations, Cremation, and Event Rentals staff to ensure that all private family events meet Mount Auburn’s standards for exceptional customer service.
• Coordinates and staffs all private cemetery events, including memorial services and receptions, cremation events, and graveside ceremonies.
• Follows all documented workflows while booking private family events:
o Guides families through the process of selecting the appropriate event package and completing booking details.
o Provides in-person or virtual tours of cemetery chapels as part of chapel-based event bookings.
o Communicates cemetery procedures and protocols effectively to families in advance to prepare them for when they arrive.
o Creates client records and service work orders for all scheduled services in Mount Auburn’s digital enterprise system.
o Prepares invoicing, receipts, and collects all documents and paperwork required for scheduled services.
o Coordinates with events and operations staff to ensure proper event set-up and break-down.
o Confirms event details with families and external vendors.
• Provides staffing support for all family events:
o Inspects event setup prior to family’s arrival.
o Meets/greets family groups when they arrive at Cemetery for scheduled event.
o Leads burial events to graveside location; greets families at building location for chapel-based events.
o Sets up and operates cemetery AV equipment, as necessary.
o Acts as liaison with any external vendors providing event services such as musicians and caterers.
• Completes follow-up communication with all families with mailings and surveys.
• May be required to perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
• 3 years of customer service and/or event coordination experience preferred. A desire to serve others at a time of emotional distress or need
• Ability to maintain composure and professional outlook when under job-related pressure
• Strong communication skills and an ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing with co-workers, Trustees, lot owners or representatives, clients, and visitors
• Strong computer and typing skills required. Specifically, Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and Outlook. Experience with relational databases preferred.
• Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently
• Must be a self-starter with strong initiative, detail orientation and the ability to work independently
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to operate standard office equipment such as computers and mouse, telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, scanners. Must be able to access file cabinets and interior vaults.
• Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery, including the Chapels, Greenhouse, Administration Building, and the cemetery grounds including traversing stairs, inclines, declines, and uneven terrain in all weather conditions
• Must be able to be outdoors regularly standing in any weather conditions when meeting visitors
• Must be able to move within a normal office environment, accessing all records and equipment with ease and walk up and down stairs
• Must be able to operate company vehicles (cars and/or vans).
• Must be able, using a stool as necessary, to reach high shelves containing files and supplies at any location within the office, including the vaults
• Must be able to do some light lifting in conjunction with office duties, up to 20 pounds
Hours of Work:
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM from Monday to Sunday. The work week will be five days a week that will includes Saturdays and Sundays. Occasional evenings as required.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Family Services Event Coordinator” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.