Open Position: Events Operations Supervisor at Mount Auburn Cemetery
The Event Operations Supervisor provides operational support for funeral events, catered receptions, artistic performances, staff meetings, and other public and private events. The Supervisor works in conjunction with an intra and interdepartmental Events Team to coordinate and complete the daily set-up and breakdown needs associated with all activities happening in Mount Auburn’s buildings and grounds.
The Supervisor manages an events operations team and will be responsible for ensuring adequate staffing support at all scheduled events. They coordinate the use of all event supplies, furnishings, and equipment and assist their team with the set-up and break-down of chairs, tables, tents, A/V equipment, and other items. They also supervise the delivery and set-up of items provided by external vendors including rented furniture, tents, and A/V equipment. The Supervisor tracks and manages Mount Auburn’s inventory of event-related supplies to ensure that furnishings and equipment meets Mount Auburn’s quality and safety standards.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensures the accurate and timely setup, assembly, operation, and breakdown of tables, chairs, podiums, easels, flipcharts, tents and shade structures, etc. in accordance with the day’s setup needs.
• Provides operational support for external catering vendors including delivery of ice and trash receptacles.
• Prioritizes the safety and well-being of all Cemetery guests, vendors, and staff by ensuring that all events are set up in full compliance with standardized guidelines for safety and accessibility.
• Coordinates set-up and provides technical support at events using videography, live-streaming, audio recording, or digital projection. Makes recommendations on audiovisual solutions that best address event needs and specifications.
• Completes event set-up sheets and floor plans to determine the furnishing and equipment needs for every event.
• Follows facilities use guidelines to ensure the protection of building finishes, furniture, and historic elements. Thoroughly documents all incidents of damage related to events and reports to the Facilities Manager.
• Reports facilities maintenance, custodial or infrastructure requests to the facilities department in a timely manner using the Cemetery CMMS and reports landscape maintenance requests to the horticulture department.
• Provides hands-on assistance with set-up and strike of all events taking place in Cemetery buildings and on its grounds, ensuring that all setups are completed with the correct furniture and equipment.
• Transports event equipment to and from locations throughout Cemetery campus.
• Supervises the set-up and strike activities of external vendors (caterers, tent companies, A/V providers, etc).
• Monitors events and checks in with guest-facing events team members to ensure that their needs are met, and all equipment is working properly.
• Manages and tracks inventory of all event furnishings and equipment.
• Receives delivery of new event equipment and supplies. Manages assembly of all items.
• Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of event storage areas.
• Conducts regular event equipment inspections, identifies required actions, and submits work order requests as needed.
• Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
• Attends regular check-in meetings with the events team to review daily and weekly meeting and events setups.
• Provides supervision and direction of events operation staff.
• Maintains an up-to-date staffing schedule to ensure adequate staffing to support daily event activity. Schedules direct reports according to daily, weekly, and seasonal needs.
• Ensures staffing support for all events including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
• Provides on-call assistance when not physically staffing events during irregular hours.
• Assists Private Events Manager with pricing for event rental packages.
• Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training, and hazard assessments.
• Ensures accurate data collection and data entry in Cemetery’s CRM system.
• Communicates effectively and timely to department leaders, co-workers, and management by telephone, e-mail, or in person.
REQUIREMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• 3 or more years of experience in a related professional area
• High school diploma or GED required; associates degree or higher preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; language fluency in English required and Spanish is preferred
• Experience running shifts and schedules is preferred
• Knowledge and understanding of OSHA regulations
• Collaborative working skills and ability to communicate successfully with employees at all levels
• Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently
• Must be detail oriented
• Ability to maintain composure and professional outlook when under job-related pressure
• A desire to serve others at a time of emotional distress or need
• Must be dependable, punctual, and articulate
• Basic computer and typing skills required. Specifically, Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• Must be a self-starter with strong initiative and the ability to work independently
• Must be patient, energetic, creative, and flexible as work demands change
• Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery, including the Chapels, Greenhouse, Administration Building, and the cemetery grounds including traversing stairs, inclines, declines, and uneven terrain in all weather conditions
• Must be able to be outdoors regularly standing in any weather conditions
• Must be able to lift to 80 pounds
• Must be able to operate standard office equipment such as computers and mouse, telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, scanners. Must be able to access file cabinets and interior vaults.
• Must be able to move within a normal office environment, accessing all records and equipment with ease
• Must be able to operate company vehicles (cars, vans, trucks, and all-terrain work vehicles).
HOURS of WORK:
Normally from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Tuesday to Saturday. Must be flexible and able to work evenings and Sundays as public events dictate.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Events Operations Supervisor” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.