Open Position: Entrance Gate Greeter at Mount Auburn Cemetery
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Security Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the new position of Entrance Gate Greeter. Reporting to the Security Supervisor, this person will be responsible for serving as the first contact for visitors to welcome them, answer questions, and direct them to their desired destinations. The Greeter will assist with the enforcement of Cemetery rules and regulations while positioned at the front entrance gate. The Greeter will work directly with the Cemetery Services office staff acting as liaison between the administration office and incoming or awaiting funerals to communicate vital information.
• Positioned at the front entrance gate, primarily standing, will actively and warmly greet incoming visitors providing directions or general assistance
• Know and understand the daily activity schedule and direct visitors to their desired locations accordingly
• Greet families gathering for scheduled burials and assist with directions, parking, front office requests, etc.
• Actively explain and uphold the Cemetery’s rules, procedures, and regulations to visitors and advise them of violations in a professional manner, remaining sensitive to the physical and emotional needs of visitors
• Assist with parking and the control of traffic entering and leaving the Cemetery which includes funeral processions, memorial/chapel services, general visitors to the cemetery, and attendees of other cemetery functions
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• One to two years of experience in customer service ideally an outside zoo or park preferred and High School education plus some college training desired
• A desire to serve others at a time of emotional distress or need
• Ability to maintain composure and professional outlook when under job-related pressure
• Must speak, read, and write English fluently and can communicate clearly and courteously with all visitors and staff
• Must be able to read maps and provide directional assistance
• Collaborative working skills and ability to communicate successfully with employees at all levels
• Must be a self-starter with strong initiative and the ability to work independently
• Must be patient, energetic, creative, flexible and have excellent organizational skills as well as the ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently
• Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery, including the Chapels, Greenhouse, Administration Building, and the cemetery grounds including traversing stairs, inclines, declines, and uneven terrain in all weather conditions
• Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions including cold, heat, snow, rain, other harsh weather plus stand and/or walk for extended periods of time and for most of the workday
Hours of Work:
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Saturdays and Sundays (required) and three days per week between Mondays and Fridays (flexible)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Entrance Gate Greeter ” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.