Open Position: Cemetery Operations Technician
Mount Auburn Cemetery seeks an enthusiastic individual to assist with a variety of tasks pertaining to the daily operations of the Cemetery.
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
The Cemetery Services Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the position of Cemetery Operations Technician. This person will perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual labor tasks pertaining to the daily operations of the Cemetery. Duties will require the employee to work outside in all weather conditions and includes digging foundations and installing monuments, assisting with interments/burials, and repairing the irrigation system following safety rules and regulations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Performs routine tasks in the preparation, set-up, and completion of interments by machine and/or by hand, installs and removes equipment such as lowering devices, dress greens, ladders, 8×4 plywood sheets, tents, and casket carriers.
• Performs tasks associated with the setting of new monuments and the digging and pouring of foundations.
• Under general supervision, performs tasks requiring knowledge and experience operating a variety of general maintenance equipment such as backhoe, dump truck, turf vehicles, and concrete mixer.
• May be asked to assist with routine tasks and repairs to irrigation system, spigots, and irrigation heads using plumbing and masonry tools etc.
• Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Two to three years of general labor experience is required. Knowledge of cemetery maintenance and construction procedures and equipment is highly desirable.
• Knowledge and familiarity with general labor hand tools, power tools, and terminology.
• Able to read a ruler, read a tape measurer, read a map, and use basic math skills.
• Some knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications is required.
• Ability to communicate fluently in English (spoken and written) with staff, vendors, and clients is required. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
• A valid driver’s license is required.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Massachusetts 2B Hoisting license.
Hours of Work:
7:30 AM to 3:30 PM on Monday to Friday. Regular Saturday overtime work required.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Cemetery Operations Technician” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.