Open Position: Arborist
Performs tree maintenance, including pruning, cabling, fertilizing, planting, spraying, injecting and tree removals. Climbs with rope and saddle and operates an aerial lift. Performs a variety of other arboricultural and horticultural tasks as needed, such as plant pest monitoring and shrub pruning.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform all necessary tree pruning, removals, storm damage repairs, cabling, bracing, and other tree work.
• Operate aerial lift, climb with rope and saddle, handle chipper, chainsaw, and hydraulic spray rig sprayer, stump grinder and Bobcat in a safe and proper manner.
• Perform I.P.M. and plant health care functions, including pest monitoring, spraying pesticides, tree injections, and all required record keeping
• Perform routine maintenance on arboriculture department equipment such as brush chipper, spray rig, stump grinder, and chain saws including: sharpening chains, replacing blades, changing oil, replacing air filters and applying grease.
• Plant and transplant trees and shrubs. Guy and stake trees as needed.
• Aerial rescue another arborist in an emergency
• May also assist the Gardening Supervisor with planting shrubs, groundcovers and perennials as necessary.
• Uses hand pruners, handsaw, pole saw, pole pruner and a variety of small battery operated and gas powered equipment.
• Trains other fulltime, seasonal and intern staff as necessary.
• Fertilize and treat trees or shrubs by various industry methods.
• Assist with putting out floral decorations on lots for holidays
• Responsible for Recycling Area duties such as operating backhoe, front-end loader, dump truck, soil screener, and wood splitter / firewood production. Assist with the general operation and organization of the Recycling Area.
• Assist with snow removal as necessary
• Responsible for correctly using an automated method (time badges) for the purpose of time and attendance recordkeeping. Employees are only authorized to use their own personal swipe badge.
• May be required to help interment crew set up graves, green up graves, carry interment devices and caskets and clean-up graves when other labor is not available
• May be required to perform other duties as requested by the Superintendent of Grounds to assist other Sections or Departments
• Follow all Cemetery safety policies and procedures related to assigned tasks, including wearing personal protective equipment (eye and hearing protecting, gloves, etc.), proper handling of chemicals, ladder safety, and lifting and moving heavy objects. Bring unsafe conditions to the attention of the Arboriculture Supervisor and make suggestions to improve safe working practices.
• Two years of arborist experience
• Degree in Arboriculture or Horticulture preferred
• Massachusetts Certified Arborist or ISA Certified preferred
• Ability to obtain Core Pesticide Applicator’s License within one year.
• Ability to obtain DOT medical card within one year
• Driver’s License Required. CDL Class B License preferred
• Ability to obtain Massachusetts Hoisting License 2A within one year
• Ability to communicate successfully with staff, lot owners, visitors and outside contractors
• Ability to use radio communications equipment
• Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy
REQUIRED PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Ability to climb trees with rope and saddle
• Ability to use and operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment such as pole pruners, snowblower, sprayer, bucket truck, chipper, chain saws, stump grinder and all other arboricultural equipment
• Ability to shovel soil, mulch, and snow and to lift fertilizer, lime, soil mixes, peat moss, trees, shrubs and logs up to 80 pounds
• Ability to lift caskets for interments up to 100 pounds
• Ability to bend, walk, and/or stand for long periods of time
• Works outdoors in all seasons including harsh weather conditions
All employees of Mount Auburn Cemetery are “at will’ employees and must adhere to Mount Auburn’s “Code of Conduct.”
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, age, pregnancy, citizenship status, physical or mental ability, military status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume, as MS Word documents, by email to email@example.com stating the job title in the subject line. You can also mail a cover letter and resume to Mount Auburn Cemetery, 580 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, Attention: Human Resources. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.