Open Position: Advancement Assistant at Mount Auburn Cemetery
The Institutional Advancement Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the new position of Advancement Assistant.
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
Role and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Annual Giving Manager, this person will be responsible for supporting the Office of Institutional Advancement, by performing general administrative work, event support, preparing mailings, gift processing, and acknowledgement of gifts.
• Support the Annual Giving program in a variety of ways, including gift processing and acknowledgement, preparing of mailings, and assisting in maintenance of the Raiser’s Edge database.
• Generate and send all pledge and recurring gift reminders on a timely basis.
• Conduct prospect research to identify potential new donors, from individuals, foundation, corporate and government sources.
• Responsible for data entry and the acquisition of new donor information in collaboration with Visitor and Cemetery Services.
• Process gifts and manage deposit, credit card, and online donation processes.
• Organize advance materials for events, including attendee bios, name tags, and information packets.
• Prepare calendar, save-the-date, and invitation mailings for donor events and select public programs.
• Staff donor events as needed, including some outside of regular work hours on weekends, evenings, and early mornings.
• Draft acknowledgement letters, including personalized special project and major gift letters, and ensure timely mailing.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional development is required. One to two years of related experience is strongly preferred.
• This is an entry level position; proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook, Word and Excel, is required.
• Prior familiarity with nonprofit fundraising and the Raiser’s Edge or other CRM databases is desirable but not required.
• Demonstrated ability to work with the public and to coordinate complex tasks. Ability to follow through on assigned tasks and to work independently.
• Demonstrated excellent communication skills, in person, in writing, via telephone or other computer or other electronic media.
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and creative as work demands change.
• Must be able to work evenings and/or weekends for fundraising events as needed.
• Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
• Must be able to operate standard office equipment such as computers, mouse, telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, scanners and filing cabinets.
• Must be able to operate photocopying equipment, including but not limited to lifting, loading, and carrying stacks of paper up to 20 pounds.
• Must be able to move and work within an office environment including being seated for prolonged periods of time.
Hours of Work:
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends as required.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Advancement Assistant” in the subject area, to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.