New Pump House and Wells Installed
In 1967, a badly needed upgrade was made to Mount Auburn’s aging water distribution system. Parts of the system, some laid as long ago as 1860, were beginning to fail. The first phase of the upgrade involved the construction of a large brick pump house. Two new wells were constructed thereafter that had a daily rated capacity of over ten times that of the 24 abandoned wells that had been previously in use. Pressure tanks were also installed in the Pump House area which made the old gravity pump system obsolete. The total costs incurred for the 1967 upgrade exceeded $86,800. However, the cost was well worth the insurance that water would be delivered to the more remote areas and steeper inclines of the landscape during the warm spring and summer months.