Sweet Auburn, Winter 2002-2003
Inside this Issue…
Bigelow Chapel: Crematory Chapel by Janet Heywood
In 1898, following the construction of Story Chapel, Bigelow Chapel (originally constructed in the 1840s) was converted to a crematory chapel. Architect Willard T. Sears redesigned the interior of Bigelow Chapel to accommodate a crematory. The effort was immediately embraced by the public, who appreciated Mount Auburn’s care and attention to the ceremony of cremations.
New Audio Walking Tours
Decorative Urns at Mount Auburn by Kathy Fahey
Decorative urns ornamented the Lawn (renamed Asa Gray Garden) and Auburn Lake during the mid-nineteenth century, when tastes trended towards the Victorian. As tastes shifted towards a more park-like landscape, many urns were removed as flat markers and a uniform landscape came into favor. The few urns remaining in the landscape require preservation and continued care.
Biographical Note: Nathaniel Wyeth (1802-1856) by Judy Jackson and Laura Gosman
Explorer, trader, and inventor Nathaniel Wyeth is buried in Lot #3031 on Fountain Avenue.