Climbing Arborist at Mount Auburn Cemetery
Are you tired of working in the commercial tree industry? Do you have 2 or more years of solid climbing experience using rope and saddle and operating an aerial lift? If you answered yes to both questions, then check us out! We are seeking an experienced arborist to assist with maintaining our extensive collection of trees. The work will include: pruning, cabling, tree removals, plant health care, planting and other grounds maintenance tasks.
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge MA. It is one of the oldest and best-preserved landscaped gardens in North America and continues to operate as an active cemetery. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall, representing 115 different botanical families and comprising more than 2,000 different taxa.
We offer full time, year-round employment in a safe working environment, well-maintained equipment, and an experienced horticulture staff. Competitive pay and a generous benefits package including 11 paid holidays, vacation and sick time, medical insurance, company matching 401k plan, uniforms, PPE, and paid continuing education and training.
Hourly Pay range $24 – $36/hour commensurate with experience.
Role and Responsibilities:
Performs tree maintenance, including pruning, cabling, fertilizing, planting, spraying, injecting and tree removals. Climbs with rope and saddle and operates an aerial lift. Performs a variety of other arboricultural and horticultural tasks as needed, such as plant pest monitoring and shrub pruning.
• Operate aerial lift, climb with rope and saddle, handle chipper, chainsaw, and hydraulic sprayer, stump grinder and Bobcat in a safe and proper manner
• Perform all necessary tree pruning, removals, storm damage repairs, cabling, and other tree work.
• Perform I.P.M. and plant health care functions, including pest monitoring, spraying pesticides, tree injections, and all required record keeping
• Uses hand pruners, handsaw, pole saw, pole pruner and a variety of small battery operated and gas-powered equipment.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• Two years of arborist experience
• Degree in Arboriculture or Horticulture preferred
• Massachusetts Certified Arborist or ISA Certified preferred
• Core Pesticide Applicator’s License must be obtained within six months after date of hire.
• Ability to climb trees with rope and saddle
• Ability to use and operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment such as pole pruners, snow blower, sprayer, bucket truck, chipper, chain saws, stump grinder and all other arboricultural equipment
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday from 7:30 AM to 3:35 PM. Occasionally hours may be adjusted to meet business requirements.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Climbing Arborist” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please. We are unable to sponsor work visas or reimburse relocation expenses.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Comments are closed.