Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the new position of Assistant Superintendent of Grounds.
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Horticulture Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the new position of Assistant Superintendent of Grounds. Reporting to the Superintendent of Grounds, this person will be responsible for managing the day-to-day grounds maintenance and horticulture operations. They will be responsible for ensuring that Mount Auburn’s high standards are upheld with respect to ongoing maintenance of the trees, shrubs, flowers, groundcovers, and grass, while encouraging professionalism and creativity amongst staff.
To ensure the efficient and effective functioning of all departmental operations and programs, the Assistant Superintendent will communicate regularly with the Supervisors of Arboriculture, Gardening, Grass/Grounds Maintenance, Greenhouse, and Vehicle & Equipment Services to coordinate all activities. Responsible for enhancing safety in the workplace by ensuring that all employees under their supervision are properly trained to use any required equipment and are following all safety rules and procedures. Responsible for scheduling, preparing and coordinating the placement of holiday tributes amongst the Cemetery Services staff, Greenhouse staff and Grounds Staff. Responsible for managing the Recycling Area operations by incorporating the best sustainable practices and serving as a model for other organizations to follow.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
· Five or more years of experience in the horticulture field, with college degree in horticulture or related field preferred.
· Ability to manage, supervise and effectively communicate with a diverse team of horticulturists to prioritize and complete all work at high standards.
· Ability to perform a wide variety of horticulture tasks such as: grounds maintenance, turf care, gardening, arboriculture, greenhouse production, composting and equipment operation (backhoe, front end loader, Bobcat, aerial lift).
· Must be organized, detail oriented, and experienced with managing a large staff, and must be a good problem solver.
· Ability to perform and manage snow removal operations at all times including weekends and evenings during winter months. Knowledge of equipment, materials, and staffing needs to handle all size snow storms.
· Experience and knowledge in compost production and managing a compost/recycling operation desirable.
· Must be able to communicate successfully with all levels of employees and with outside contractors, lot owners, customers and visitors.
· Must have a Massachusetts hoisting license (Class A preferred).
· Commercial Pesticide Applicators licenses in Shade Trees and Ornamentals (Category 36) and Turf (Category 37) preferred.
· The physical demands of this position include routinely lifting up to 80 lbs., bending, walking and standing for long periods of time, and working outside in all seasons and variable weather conditions.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Assistant Superintendent of Grounds” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to:
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
The Board of Trustees is currently seeking a qualified candidate to serve as the next President & CEO of Mount Auburn Cemetery.
Reporting to and working closely with the Board of Trustees, the President & CEO is responsible for the strategic leadership and engaged management of Mount Auburn Cemetery’s staff and resources. The CEO will provide leadership for all aspects of Mount Auburn, including strategic direction setting, overall management of daily operations, fundraising, relations with volunteers, program development and management, financial management, and relations with the broader community and other institutions. This is a multifaceted role calling for an experienced and confident leader and manager with a holistic vision for the unique mission and impact of Mount Auburn.
Download the Position Specification for complete details: