Open Position: Security Guard/Visitor Services Representative
As a member of the Security staff, the Security Guard/Visitor Services Representative reports directly to the Security Supervisor for weekly scheduling and daily assignment of tasks, but also works closely with the Visitor Services staff to provide visitor services in a professional and courteous manner. Primary responsibilities include Entrance Gate duty, serving as first contact for visitors to welcome them, answer questions and direct them to their desired destinations. Uses computer to locate specific grave locations for visitors as requested. Provides security functions at the Entrance Gate area, including the handling of visitors arriving on bicycles, motorcycles, with dogs, etc. Assists with the management of funeral processions and memorial services, directing traffic flow and parking as appropriate.
Maintains a clean and professional appearance of Entrance Gate area by picking up trash, watering the plants, and removing snow and ice as needed. Sells and rents interpretive materials in a responsible manner, including credit cards transactions and cash management. Hours: Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Monday 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Start and end times may vary during different seasons of the year to correspond to the opening time of the Cemetery, and overtime hours may be required for special events and extra coverage during the busiest periods.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• When on Entrance Gate duty serve as first contact for visitors to welcome them, answer questions and direct them to their desired destinations. Use computerized interment database to locate specific grave locations for visitors as requested.
• Explain the Cemetery’s rules, procedures and regulations to visitors and advise them of violations in a professional manner, remaining sensitive to the physical and psychological needs of visitors and lot owners.
• Assist with the control of traffic entering and leaving the cemetery, which includes interpretive programs and tours, funeral processions, memorial and chapel services, general visitors to the cemetery, and attendees of other cemetery functions.
• Work with Education & Visitor Services staff to provide information and interpretive services at the Entrance Gate area, including the sale and rental of audio tours.
• Maintain a clean and professional appearance of Entrance Gate area, including the Gatehouse, Story Chapel, Visitors Center and public restrooms, by picking up trash, watering the plants, and removing snow and ice as needed.
• Maintain appearance of and replenish informational materials at the Entrance Gate as required.
• Participate in responding to emergencies as needed. Maintain familiarity with all emergency procedures. Investigate complaints, accidents and disturbances on the grounds, and write detailed incident reports and accident investigation reports. Call fire or police departments in cases of emergency if needed.
• Patrol the grounds and provide other security duties as requested. Assist with the removal of sick or dead wild life throughout the cemetery as requested.
• Perform daily rounds with the detex clock as requested.
• Responsible for the safe operation of any cemetery vehicle and security equipment.
• Assist with the collection of money in donation poles as requested.
• Required to write security and incident reports as needed.
• Capable of opening and closing of the cemetery as needed.
• May be required to perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
• Driver’s license.
• High School Diploma.
• Ability to communicate to staff, police and emergency responders with cemetery communication equipment.
• Basic computer skills and strong writing skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with all visitors and staff.
• Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy.
• Ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer) as well as the ability to see details at a distance (with or without corrective lenses.)
• Ability to deal with stressful situations, and to be flexible as work demands change.
• Currently certified in AED, CPR and First Aid or willing to obtain such certification.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Ability to walk, bend, stand for long periods of time.
• Required to work outdoors during all seasons of the year, and must be able to work in harsh weather.
• Ability to shovel snow and ice as needed.
• Ability to safely operate cemetery vehicles.
All employees of Mount Auburn Cemetery are “at will’ employees and must adhere to Mount Auburn’s “Code of Conduct.”
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, age, pregnancy, citizenship status, physical or mental ability, military status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume, as MS Word documents, by email to email@example.com stating the job title in the subject line. You can also mail a cover letter and resume to Mount Auburn Cemetery, 580 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, Attention: Human Resources. No telephone calls please.