Open Position: Preservation Craftsperson – Junior
The Preservation Craftsperson participates in all stages of monument repairs and preservation, re-setting monuments, foundation repairs and new foundation installations, and other preservation based masonry repairs, assists in preservation and conservation work and general preservation maintenance work throughout the cemetery. The Preservation Craftsman ensures all work on site appropriately reflects the Statement of Preservation Values and Commitments approved by the Trustees of the Cemetery on December 12, 2007, and is performed in accordance with appropriate standards and best practices in preservation and conservation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform work on historic masonry throughout the cemetery including mausoleums, monuments and other grave markers and assist with project assessment of materials and conditions.
• Perform preservation and contemporary carpentry projects.
• Perform repairs to cast iron fences.
• Assist in the management of the Preservation Services Building workshop keeping tools and equipment maintained and functioning properly and ensure that materials are stocked and stored in an organized and safe manner.
• Assist and communicate effectively with onsite contractors.
• Assist with surveying the cemetery grounds for loose, leaning or potentially unsafe memorials, mausoleums, lot fences, etc.
• Assist with record keeping, maintaining field notes of work performed and photo documentation and the input of this information by computer into the appropriate preservation department database.
• Must adhere to all safety rules and procedures and utilize appropriate protective equipment and guards. Bring all workshop and job site safety concerns to the attention of direct supervisor or member of the safety committee.
• Ability to operate a variety of power tools safely and effectively.
• Work cooperatively with members of other departments and act as a “team player”, assisting other staff as necessary when short-handed or requiring additional help. Among other things, assist with snow removal, facilities maintenance, and/or the set-up or breakdown of chapels for memorial services, meetings or events.
• Present a good professional image in dress and grooming. Remain respectful of the sacred and contemplative nature of the Cemetery always and be respectful, courteous and helpful to all visitors.
• High School diploma required and some college level courses desirable.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Minimum of one year of practical preservation experience required.
• Two years of preservation training or the equivalent of preservation field work or schooling.
• Ability to identify stone types, evaluate conditions and recommend repairs and treatments.
• Ability to balance efficient maintenance needs with sensitive preservation concerns.
• English language reading, writing and speaking skills required. Knowledge of Spanish language desirable.
• Ability to communicate effectively with cemetery staff, lot owners, visitors and outside contractors or vendors.
• Ability to be flexible as work demands change.
• Must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools safely and effectively including but not limited to cordless and corded drills, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, and bench grinder.
• Basic computer skills required and the ability to use a mouse and/or standard keyboard and computer equipment.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Ability to access all areas of the Cemetery grounds and buildings including walking up and down stairs, entering confined spaces, and navigating varied terrain.
• Ability to climb and work from all manner of ladders, scaffolding, and aerial work platforms.
• Ability to move both within a workshop and normal office environment.
• Ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop, crouch, stand and reach over head for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
• May be required to work outdoors in any season or weather condition.
• Work can be stressful especially during busy seasons.
All employees of Mount Auburn Cemetery are “at will’ employees and must adhere to Mount Auburn’s “Code of Conduct.”
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, age, pregnancy, citizenship status, physical or mental ability, military status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume, as MS Word documents, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job title in the subject line. You can also mail a cover letter and resume to Mount Auburn Cemetery, 580 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, Attention: Human Resources. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.