Open Position: Cemetery Operations Technician
Required to work within all Cemetery Operations departments as needed. Under the supervision of the department’s Director, performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual labor tasks pertaining to the daily operations of the Cemetery. Duties will require the employee to work outside in all weather conditions and includes digging foundations and installing monuments, assisting with interments/burials, and repairing the irrigation system following safety rules and regulations. Performs additional tasks as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs tasks to assist with the setting of monuments, memorials and foundations.
• Under general supervision performs tasks requiring knowledge and experience operating a variety of general maintenance equipment such as backhoe, jackhammer, and dump truck with trailer.
• Performs routine tasks in the set-up and completion of interments by machine and/or by hand, installs and removes tarps and grave boards for burials using equipment such as lowering devices, dress greens, ladders, 4×4 plywood sheets, tents and casket carriers.
• Performs routine tasks and repairs to irrigation system, spigots and irrigation heads using plumbing and masonry tools etc.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy.
• Two to three years’ experience using plumbing and masonry tools, etc. is required. Knowledge of cemetery maintenance and construction procedures and equipment is highly desirable.
• Able to read a ruler, map and use basic math skills.
• Some knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications is required.
• Ability to communicate fluently in English (spoken and written) with staff, vendors and clients is required. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
• A valid driver’s license is required. Must be able to obtain a Massachusetts 2B Hoisting license.
• Able to shovel snow, dirt and/or loam as needed and assigned.
• Must follow all safety policies and regulations to contribute to a safe working environment and participate in all safety trainings and safety meetings.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Able to work alone and under supervision.
• Able to establish priorities and organize work. Willing to accept more responsibilities at Director’s discretion as time warrants.
• Able to deal with stressful situations and be flexible as work demands.
• Mechanical experience is a plus.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Able to work outside in all weather conditions including cold, heat, snow, rain and other harsh weather.
• Able to assist with the lifting of caskets and other interment equipment.
• Able to communicate with two way radios.
• Able to operate a jackhammer, backhoe and other heavy equipment.
• Able to stand, walk, kneel and/or bend for long periods of time.
• Able to lift caskets, 4×4 plywood sections and interment greens up to 50 lbs.
• Able to climb and carry a ladder above and beneath ground.
• Able to drive Cemetery equipment as needed (trucks, tractors, trailers, GEM carts, Toros).
• Ability to access all areas of the Cemetery grounds and buildings including walking up and down stairs, entering confined spaces, and navigating varied terrain.
• Able to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
All employees of Mount Auburn Cemetery are “at will’ employees and must adhere to Mount Auburn’s “Code of Conduct.”
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, age, pregnancy, citizenship status, physical or mental ability, military status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume, as MS Word documents, by email to email@example.com stating the job title in the subject line. You can also mail a cover letter and resume to Mount Auburn Cemetery, 580 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, Attention: Human Resources. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.