Open Position: Assistant Greenhouse / Nursery Manager
Assists with the overall operation of the Greenhouse, including the production of crops, scouting for disease/insect problems, treating for pest control and upkeep of lot and corporation flower beds. Responsible for supervising greenhouse operations when the Greenhouse / Nursery Manager is absent.
The Assistant Greenhouse / Nursery Manager plays a significant role in the planning, growing, documentation, and tracking of in-house production of woody and herbaceous plants. Works closely with the Greenhouse / Nursery Manager in all job aspects to receive and grow: cuttings, seed, grafts, and plugs for production.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the Greenhouse / Nursery Manager in preparing targeted crop production lists and help develop propagation strategies. Conduct research as needed. Play a leading role in the planning and scheduling of the in-house production of woody and herbaceous plants in the greenhouse and nursery.
- Help oversee the production of woody and herbaceous plants for the nursery and ultimately for the grounds. Perform all duties necessary for plant production under glass and in outside growing areas (cut-flower garden, hoop-houses, cold-frames, nursery), including propagation from seed, cuttings or grafts, transplanting, irrigation, fertilization and weed/pest management.
- Maintain comprehensive technical understanding of greenhouse systems, including Wadsworth Controls, Anderson Injectors, Rainwater recycling and the Ebb and Flood bench irrigation.
- Ensure good labeling and record-keeping from the propagation stage through the subsequent growth stages. Maintain working knowledge of BG-Base software program, especially the propagations module. Track and organize data in a professional and scientific manner. Prepare reports/inventories as needed.
- Oversees the upkeep of lot beds/corporation plantings and reports corrective actions as needed.
- Cultivate a network of peers/colleagues in the plant propagation/production field to facilitate exchanges of information and troubleshooting. Engage in professional development and technical training through the American Public Gardens Association and the International Plant Propagators Society. Investigate other educational opportunities as needed.
- Work with the Horticultural Curator to participate in seed exchanges with other botanical institutions and conduct field collection of plant propagules as needed.
- Assist in the recruitment, training and supervision of interns and volunteers for greenhouse/nursery projects (e.g., for labeling, inventories, potting, propagation, weeding, etc.)
- Place floral tributes on lots as needed.
- Assist in the mass production of holiday decorations and floral arrangements. Process orders and retail sales as needed.
- Work overtime as required during the Easter and Memorial Day weekends and at other times throughout the year.
- Lead occasional tours and demonstrations for visitors and horticultural groups and conduct public programs for the Friends of Mount Auburn Cemetery.
- May be required to perform other duties as requested by the Greenhouse / Nursery Manager to assist other sections or departments.
- Follow all Cemetery safety policies and procedures related to assigned tasks, including wearing personal protective equipment (eye and hearing protection, gloves, etc.), proper handling of chemicals, ladder safety, and lifting and moving heavy objects. Bring unsafe conditions to the attention of the Greenhouse Manager and makes suggestions to improve safe working practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or similar field, or equivalent training
- Five years of horticulture or landscape experience
- Two years of greenhouse work experience or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- Pesticide Applicator’s License in Greenhouse Category 26
- Ability to lead and communicate successfully with staff, outside vendors and contractors
- Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy
REQUIRED PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to use a variety of horticultural tools and equipment (e.g., sprayers, hand-pruners)
- Ability to bend, walk and/or stand for long periods of time, and to shovel soil and mulch, and to lift flats of plants, bags of soil, fertilizer, lime and peat moss up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work in greenhouses, which can be extremely hot in summer, and outdoors in all seasons, including harsh weather conditions.
All employees of Mount Auburn Cemetery are “at will’ employees and must adhere to Mount Auburn’s “Code of Conduct.”
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, age, pregnancy, citizenship status, physical or mental ability, military status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume, as MS Word documents, by email to email@example.com stating the job title in the subject line. You can also mail a cover letter and resume to Mount Auburn Cemetery, 580 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, Attention: Human Resources. No telephone calls please.